Monday, September 10, 2012

Inclusion

I was talking with an acquaintance (friend?) a few days ago about our religious upbringings and I mentioned that I have often grappled with the notion that my church is inclusive. He agreed and aptly but simply said essentially "Implicit to inclusiveness is the exclusion of those who are exclusive." How perfect. My "open" church wouldn't be remotely open to a homophobe or racist or sexist, but then aren't we not really open? I'm not saying those are the kind of people I want to hang out with, they aren't, it's just the semantics that bother me, but it's still a bother. Then two nights ago I was watching Daily Show coverage of the DNC and they were talking about the exact same thing (basically that even though the democrats espouse rampant inclusivity, they wouldn't let a conservative within 10 miles of their values). At least I'm not the only one bothered by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment