Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Year's Resolution

I've never really understood how people use New Year's Resolutions. I suppose I always thought it was a little selfish to make resolutions about how you would improve yourself and a little arrogant to make resolutions about how you would treat others. I never make resolutions. I've decided that resolutions are for bigger, more complex, and more ethical or philosophical issues rather than the daily living of our lives. I'm going to take a brief voyage on a tangent now, but I promise to make it connect by the end of the paragraph. I have noticed recently that I seriously judge people's system of grief. Grief is such a passionate and intense mental state that every person's grief is incredibly personal. While this makes it a very spiritual and bonding experience, it also can alienate us from one another when our grief systems clash. I've found that I personally am frequently put off by others' modes of grief (and to some extent I've witnessed people close to me coming up against the same issue). So, this year, I think I want to make my New Year's Resolution to be more accepting of all forms of grief, however off-putting I initially find them. Back on resolutions, I've also found it odd that people say "I will do [x]," as opposed to "I will try to do [x]," because there is no why I can guarantee, without a shadow of a doubt, that I will accomplish said goal. Anyway, I will try to be more accepting of grief in all of its forms and expressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment